Skip to main content

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

TEMPLE OF B/DHl DlMGDAR,                               257
general contour is identical with, that of the Brinda-ban shrines : and in the
facades of the Jain caves at Gwaliar similar sikharas are everywhere to
be seen.
Of the smaller temples some have been casually mentioned in connection
with their founders. Though of ancient date, they have been often renewed
and possess no special architectural merit. The same may be said of the Bengali
temple of Srlngar Bat, near the Madan Mohan? which, however, enjoys an
annual income of Bs. 13,500, divided among three shareholders, who each take
the religions services for four months at a time. The village of Jahangirpor
oa the opposite bank of the river, including the sacred grove of Bel-ban, forms
part of the endowment.
The temple of BadM Damodar has a special claim to distinction from the
fact that It contains the ashes of Jiva, its founder, as also of his two uncles,
the Gosalns Supa and Sanatan, the founders of the temple of G-oblnd Deva5
who in their life-time had expressed a wish to be burled together within its
precincts. Their joint anniversary is celebrated in the month of Sawan, when
the three shrines are visited by great crowds of Bengalis, "who, according to
customj make each some small offering. The proceeds used to be divided
between the priests of the two temples ; but in 1875, the Radha Damodar Mahant
made an attempt to engross the whole by exclndlng the G-oblad Deva people
from any participation in the ceremony. The plea advanced was that they
were renegades from Vaishnavism since the time that they had complied, with
the Jaypur Maharaja's order and marked their foreheads with the three horizon-
tal lines that indicate a votary of Siva, This exclusion was naturally resented
by the Gobind Deva Ifahantj who claimed the Immemorial right of free access
to Ms founder's tomb, and as there seemed camse to anticipate that the two rival
factions would come so blows, precautions were taken to suppress all external
manifestations whatever, much to the chagrin of the Radha Damodaf claimants,
who had prepared to signalize thek triumph by a 'display of exceptional magni-
ficence.
Of the modem temples, five claim special notice. The first in time of erec-
tion is ihe temple of Krishna Chaadrama3 built about the year 1810, at a cost
of 25 lakhs, by the wealthy Bengali K&yath, Krishna Chandra Sink, better
known as the Lali Babo. It stands in a large court-yard, which is laid out,
not very tastefully, as a garden, and is enclosed by a lofty wall of soEd masonry^
with an arched gateway at either end* The building m of quadrangular form,
180 feet in length^ with a front central compartment of three arches and a
05